Thursday 29 April 2010

nyumbani..on a fact-finding mission..


So I fika'd Kenya on a last-minute-dot-com procedure; where I decided that it was high time that I investigated this mpango of a biashara "back home".

Although prior to my initial feelings that it 'can be pulled off'..needless to say - I was pleasantly surprised once I had actually been in Kenya and started the fact-finding mission in earnest..

The last time I was living in Kenya was as a young person in my late teens - occasionally fika'ing Nai for various hols/weddings/funerals etc - but I have not been actually living there since the late 90's..so now we are in 2010 and with the passage of time the whole idea is becoming quite..how do I say..daunting !! I guess the dynamics have changed alot - am returning home with a child in tow - someone who's going to need school fees etc and am also returning home to a new home that I'm gonna have to 'learn'. This part I am really looking forward to (another post about that later!)

It was a very interesting trying to pursue this fact-finding mission in Kenya. For the most part - I guess the mindset is completely different to what I am accustomed in 'the West'. Which is fair enough really. And I suppose it is up to me to learn to adjust really.. what I found interesting is the type of assumptions that people make simply upon your appearance or the car you drive or simply how you present yourself. I first realised this when I had a meeting with a certain Mama who very definitely was sizing me up - in the only way that another female can size another up. I saw how closely she was looking at the clothes I wore - right down to my choice of jewellery; as she made a point of commenting on this! I was also looking out for signals which would indicate whether or not I had gained her approval..and luckily I had. I was 'somewhat' prepared for this - and had ensured that I had brought along my 'posh' handbag and accessories to complement this get-up! I guess in 'the West' these sorts of things must happen too but perhaps in a more subtle way..I dont know..

There is also the factor that; as a woman trying to do business 'independently' yani without a man in tow; there is a certain impression that people seem to develop. I dont know if it is because they think that as a woman you should 'offer them something' in order for the business deal to take place; or even that it could be on the cards. I had expected this aspect too - and so I always ensured that I was never alone with anyone and furthermore there was nothing akin to flirting taking place - but if you know Kenyan men like I do - then flirting or not..they still like to push their luck either way. I can imagine for some women this would really put them off - but personally I just laugh it off and get on with it.. I have spoken to other female friends who have told me things that have happened with bosses, colleagues etc around the time of pay rises, promotions etc happening..and although shocking it does not surprise me.. I guess thats the sad thing really..the lack of surprise..

The one good thing that I have to realise about Kenya though is that things can happen for real - which I have found really comforting. Kenyans are not the best time keepers - I had an appointment once at 9.30 a.m. and at 9:50 the guy calmly informs me he is running 20 minutes late. However I have also learnt that there is also another group of people who dont tolerate this type of thing and they dont just hang around (like I did) - they would have moved in to the next appointment. Many many people in Kenya have pretty tight schedules and they literally are running from 1 corner of the CBD to another. In many ways its because of the traffic situation which can be pretty nasty - but then business in Nai seems to have a calm laid-back characteristic to it which I cant really explain.. I guess in comparing everything to 'the West' here we are so uptight - always rushing to meet one deadline or another. For some people its the pub closing time; for others its the last tube/train home; or even 'Eastenders'...in Nai I just didnt seem to chance upon those pressures..

I am truly longing for the day when I become a bonfide 'Mama wa biashara' in Kenya..

No comments: